PS430 Program Design and Evaluation Unit 3 Discussion Board
- Watch the Unit 3 Lecture. (transcripts)
- Read the following scenario
How to Pinpoint and Measure Performance
Pinpointing is a critical skill in creating effective work environments. In this discussion, you will pinpoint and define behavior and results. Additionally, you will select and apply key concepts to help an organization effectively measure performance.
Your company, Acme Behavior Consultation, Inc., has asked you to review a new case. Your client is Care Relief, a large in-home respite care service provider for families with children who have special needs. Care Relief is funded by private pay from families, as well as payment from health insurance companies. Care Relief is having some issues in the area of staff performance and have asked for assistance with strategies to measure the performance of the staff.
Quarterly satisfaction surveys indicate that families using Care Relief services are very dissatisfied with employees providing care to their loved ones with special needs. Issues include:
- Unprofessional Behavior
Care Relief is hoping that Acme can help decrease the number of client complaints and increase ratings in the area of client satisfaction.
For this Discussion:
- Pinpoint one specific result for Care Relief and two behaviors to change.
- Include operational definitions for the two behaviors that are pinpointed for change.
- Describe why you selected the specific result and behaviors to pinpoint as they relate to the scenario at Care Relief.
- Discuss how you would measure the behaviors pinpointed for change, including the type of measurement that would be used.
- Discuss the importance of measurement and operational definitions to the creation of appropriate behavior management plans for staff.
Guided Response Posts Instructions
Students will review two of their classmate’s posts to assess the following:
- Were the pinpoints selected appropriate for the scenario? Why or why not?
- Critique your peers’ definitions. Were the definitions clear, concise, and accurate? Can anyone who reads these definitions accurately identify occurrences of the behavior? If not, provide suggestions on what would increase the clarity of the definitions.
Reading and Resources
Your readings this week will provide an overview of how performance is measured. In addition, your reading will review the components of operational definitions and factors that influence the accurate measurement of behavior. Your readings will also help prepare you to present behavior tactics to a variety of individuals.
In your textbook read:
Chapter 10: “Pinpointing”
Chapter 13: “The Effective Use of Measurement”
Read the following article from the Purdue Global Library:
Miltenberger, R. G., & Weil, T. M. (2013). Observation and measurement in behavior analysis. In G.
J. Madden, W. V. Dube, T. D. Hackenberg, G. P. Hanley, K. A. Lattal, G. J. Madden, K. A.
Lattal (Eds.), APA handbook of behavior analysis, Vol. 1: Methods and principles (pp. 127–
150). Washington, DC, US: American Psychological Association.
Daniels, A. (2016) Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Apply the Astonishing Power of Positive Reinforcement.